It was WWI and the United States was unable to obtain from Egypt the long staple cotton required for manufacturing their tires. Additionally, there was a boll weevil infestation in the South, which decimated the cotton supply from Georgia.
Paul W. Litchfield, then vice president of production for Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company, came to the Valley of the Sun in 1916, seeking another source for cotton. He had been told by the U.S. Department of Agriculture that the soil and sun conditions here were similar to Egypt.
Mr. Litchfield initially bought 16,000 acres in the West Valley, and Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company set up their operation to grow the long-fiber, Pima cotton. Shortly thereafter, Mr. Litchfield laid out the town for the employees; cleared for roads, erected the flagpole, and planted the palm and orange trees.
He also set aside acreage for a non-denominational Protestant church and for the Catholic Mission Church that was built in 1920.
On March 27, 1938, devoted members came together and formally organized a non-denominational church, which they named The Church at Litchfield Park.
The church organization was complete, but it lacked a church. Mr. Zieske took his building problem to Mr. Litchfield, where he found a sympathetic ear and a deep personal interest in the project. The timing was not the best for the company, the Great Depression of the thirties had drained the resources of the company.